South Dakota National Guard Scholarships
Suspense: 15 March
This scholarship endowment is made possible by donations from the South Dakota National Guard Officers and Enlisted Associations and is established in memory of Major General Duane L. “Duke” Corning’s love and dedication for these associations and for his fidelity, dedication and unselfish service to his state, nation, and fellowman. The purpose of the memorial endowment is to encourage active/retired members of the South Dakota National Guard (Army and Air) and their dependents to pursue degrees in higher education at an accredited institution of their choice. Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded by the Enlisted/Officer Associations for the Major General Duane L. “Duke” Corning Scholarship.
*There will be no Mallow Memorial Scholarship for 2017.
The USAA Scholarship
This scholarship endowment is made possible by the USAA insurance program. The purpose of the USAA scholarship is to encourage active enlisted members of the South Dakota National Guard, (Army and Air), and their dependents to pursue degrees in higher education at an accredited institution of their choice. This objective is to be accomplished through annual award of the USAA Scholarship. A scholarship will be awarded by the Enlisted Association at the State Conference and may be in the amount of $500 or $1000 to be determined by USAA.
To be considered for this award, an applicant must be:
* (Corning): A current/retired member or a dependent of a current/retired member of the South Dakota National Guard Officer or Enlisted Associations.
* (USAA): A current member or a dependent of a member of the South Dakota National Guard Enlisted Association
* (BOTH): A graduating high school senior and/or an individual enrolled or having intent to enroll in a post-secondary institution (undergraduate study only) on a full-time basis.
To apply for the SDNG Scholarships, applicants must submit the following, in its entirety, by the posted deadline above.
• A scholarship application form (including the brief autobiography requested at the bottom of the application)
• At least one letter of academic recommendation. This should be from a teacher, counselor, dean or professor addressing the applicant’s academic achievements.
• At least one letter of personal recommendation. Should be from a community leader, minister, elected official, or unit commander (if member of National Guard) addressing the applicant’s moral and personal traits, character and leadership abilities. (Cannot be a parent)
• An official high school and/or college transcript which indicates the applicant’s cumulative grade point average and one copy of the applicant’s latest SAT/ACT test scores (if applicable).
Completed packages must be received by posted deadline or they will be returned to the applicant. Do not have the official transcript or the letters of recommendation sent directly because your entire package must be sent under one cover.
The 2017 application materials must be submitted by March 15th 2017 to:
Josh Wermers, 10000 Pioneer Ave., Rapid City, S.D. 57702
EANGUS NATIONAL AUXILIARY SCHOLARSHIP
There will be four EANGUS National Auxiliary Scholarships, first place – $3,000; second place – $1,250; third place – $1,000 and fourth place $1,000 available to high school seniors or college students.
Full-time students as well as part-time students enrolled for at least 8 accredited hours may apply. Previous Auxiliary scholarship winners are not eligible.
The following individuals are eligible to apply:
- Unmarried children/step children, grandchildren/step grandchildren, up to age 26, of Annual andLife EANGUS Auxiliary members;
- Spouses of EANGUS Auxiliary members;
- EANGUS Auxiliary members.
Applications are available from
705 James Place
Yankton, SD 57078
Applications must be postmarked and sent to the address above no later than June 1, 2016.
PLEASE NOTE – A CHANGE OF ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN MADE TO INCLUDE CHILDREN/STEP CHILDREN, GRANDCHILDREN/STEP GRANDCHILDREN, UP TO AGE 26, OF ANNUAL AND LIFE EANGUS AUXILIARY MEMBERS
2017 SDNGEA AUXILIARY SCHOLARSHIPS
The South Dakota National Guard Enlisted Association Auxiliary is offering TWO $1000 scholarships for the 2017 academic year.
SDNGEA Auxiliary members or their spouses, unmarried high school seniors, college undergraduate or vocational students up to age 26 are eligible. The student’s father, step-father, mother, step-mother, or grandparent or step-grandparent or spouse must be a member of the South Dakota National Guard Enlisted Association and his/her spouse a member of the Auxiliary.
Membership dues for 2017 must be paid by December 31, 2016 to be eligible for the scholarship. Membership are available from Edna Steinberg, Membership Chairman, 2030 Elmhurst Drive, Rapid City, SD 57702 or at email@example.com Applications are currently available and must be returned by March 15, 2017.
For more information or to request a scholarship packet contact:
1405 Pine View Drive
Sturgis, SD 57785
(605) 720-5906 (home)
(605) 347-1375 (cell)